ALL ORiGiNAL CONTENT COPYRiGHT BY LANDiS ADVENTURES© PRODUCTiONS 2011
ALL RiGHTS RESERVED. DO NOT DUPLiCATE OR REDiSTRiBUTE IN ANY FORM.
The Best Books for Young Adults are Historical Fiction
There are eleven main benefits for encouraging your young adult to read historical fiction.
Statistics show that children’s brains have a natural ability to absorb new information at a greater speed than their older counterparts.
While your family is younger it's a good time to encourage the development of the following qualities through reading fictionalized history books:
1) KNOWLEDGE - It will have obvious benefits as your young adult will retain more knowledge and start life with a good grasp of dates and periods of the past
2) IMAGINATIONS - As they sense reality in the past, their imaginations will grow
3) APPRECIATION - They will learn an appreciation of the past which will spill into the present
4) RESPECT - They will learn a new respect for the passage of time and will learn to respect the future
5) WISDOM - It will make them wiser as they witness the hypothetical thinking or not from the past. Learning from past mistakes will take on a greater meaning for them
6) ENGAGING - Young adults will learn that history is engaging. Characters from the past weave an entertaining illustration around lifeless facts making history a lot more multi-dimensional that a long string of facelss facts designed to make exam time more difficult
7) MEMORY - Your young adult will become more proficient at creating instantaneous story 'cues' to remember facts later.
8) DISCERNMENT - It will also teach them to be discerning, when they see how the past can be altered with the flick of the writers pen or the command from a king for example.
9) RESPECT - It will teach appreciation for the aging process and respect older people
10) ROLE MODELING - Helps them shape how they develop. The characters from the past are excellent role models for young adults. Their variety of designs and temperaments offer a wide selection for young adults to model themselves after
11) ACCOUNTABILITY - Helps them decide what lifestyle might better suit them or not when they are adults. Watching the outcome for others can help shape the young adults accountability for their own actions - NOW!